Good night's sleep, shower, free breakfast at the hotel, and gas in Wichita Falls, TX and we're on the road by 10AM.
Lunch at a nice rest-stop, sandwiches--picnic. This is when good organization proves to be important. I have a picnic bag set up with a table cloth, paper, plates, paper napkins, a quilt, plastic utensils, and four different kinds of bread. One little cooler has all the drinks and the other has all the coldcuts and cheeses. It takes 5 minutes to gather our goodies together and park it somewhere. It was pretty hot out (93 and high humidity). Yuck--but in our little ramada, there was shade and a nice breeze blowing through. Bob wanted to set up the hammock--haha.
It was a pretty quick trip from Wichita Falls to Ft. Worth and then to Dallas--we didn't stop--neither of us were interested (and it was Sunday).
Our next gas stop was interesting. A Shell station, a Sonic, and a Texas Smokehouse--think Cracker Barrell with a Texas drawl--the aromas drifted right to our stomachs and although we were fulll, we really, really wanted to stop for ribs, or pulled polrk, mashed potatoes, fried okra, macaroni and cheese, green beans, biscuits, and for dessert--lemon chess pie, sweet tater pie, pecan pie, bread pudding, chookies--and though our noses and eyes said, "Giddyup!" our stomachs protested, "Whoa!"
The drive today is not as much fun as yesterday's. More traffic, less to see, fewer little towns, and curios--we're on our way to Shreveport--in fact, as I write this, we are 60 miles from Shreveport--however, once again, we are again headed towards thunderclouds--oh, oh.
Before this trip I would have rejoiced at the idea of rain so we'd have to stay in a hotel, but that first night, though horribly uncomfortable in the tent, was very sweet!
3 comments:
Lemme know if you need a wake-up call in the AM. It's easy for me from EDT. If you're heading to Shreveport - 'Shreepote', as one of Bob's and my fellow ASU grad students pronounced it, has the 8th Air Force Museum http://www.8afmuseum.com/ . Bob may want to check it out. And here's a link to the burial sites of Shreveport's decased mayors http://www.ci.shreveport.la.us/dept/mayor/mayorsburial.htm
Sounds like the whole country's got the weather we've been having. Six out of the past seven days have been RAIN. Pffffft.
Carl--I'm glad Bob didn't see this comment--I'm trying to let him have his way as often as I can so I can BAM! him with shopping later on, but mayors burial sites--you're a nut!
Post a Comment