Hi, all followers,
Just a short note to inform you of my mom's condition. After several horrific slip-ups by hospital doctors, my mother was finally diagnosed by an infectious disease doctor and operated on last night. She is in critical condition in ICU. Her cellulitis was actually necrotizing fasciaitis (like gangrene). They remove practically the entire lower left quadrant of her abdomen (skin, tissue beneath and some muscle) and she's lying there with that wound OPEN (unbelievable). this is going to be a long recovery and several surgeries (grafting the wound once the disease is totally gone).
My updates will be sporadic and short, probably, but please keep reading if you want to know what's going on.
Her surgeon said she'll probably be in the hospital for at least three weeks (or more if she doesn't heal as quickly as a younger person would). If any 88 year old can survive this, it's my mom (don't know if she wants to though).
When I saw her in ICU, she looked like a corpse--flat in the bed, intubated, white as a ghost. This morning, I called to get a report and she has already been extubated and is awake but on heavy duty pain killers and sedatives. I'm on my way to see for myself. Please send your prayers and love her way--I never realized how much I loved her until it looked like I might lose her.
2 comments:
Oh my God, Casey. This is awful. I just got back from a week without internet access & read this. Your mom is in my thoughts and prayers.
Let me know if there's anything at all we can do. If it looks like you'll be staying in NY, Tom and I are happy to drive up to your cottage to pack up your stuff/ship it to you. Just say the word...
Love,
Jenn
Casey, I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of you. I wish I could be there to comfort you if nothing else. This has to be the hardest thing you've ever endured. Keep strong.
Much love,
Marla
Post a Comment