Our alarm and the hotel wakeup call succeeded to get us out of bed at 2:30. We finished packing, took showers, checked out of the hotel and our taxi was waiting. The taxi driver was a broader Dave Devlin and a great conversationalist. It took 25 minutes to get to the airport and 30 Euros including tip. We dragged all of our bags up to the line for Aer Lingus (be patient now and read on--I'm building the suspense). When it was finally our turn, the woman at the counter seemed to be having trouble reading our e-ticket. Then she said, "Your flight is TOMORROW!" Ohmigod. Earlier in the weekend, I had told Bob that we were leaving on Wednesday and he said, "Are you sure?" I thought I was and then I looked at something and misread it or something--I really don't know what I did, but then I said, "Wow! Good thing I checked because we're leaving on Tuesday." I don't know what I saw, but I admit that it's my fault and Bob is taking this very well (he's asleep beside me as I type this in our hotel room). So, we drag all of our baggage downstairs and out the door, get another taxi, and, again, this taxi driver is a great conversationalist. When I told him what I had done, he told me that he had done exactly the same thing this past summer during a trip to NYC. Nice man. So after another 25 minutes and 30 euros, we get to our hotel and have to ring the bell to wake up the poor night clerk (again--because we had to wake him up to check out) and check back in again.
So, the good news is we have another day in Dublin, and we were booked in this bed and breakfast until tomorrow anyway. The bad news is that I will be reminded of this until the day I die, huh? Oh well. Had to get this off my chest--couldn't decide whether to announce my stupidity or not, but this is an honest blog and my kids will all get a kick out of this. Sorry Bob.
Will write later about our real last day in Dublin (at least the museums we wanted to see will be open now).
No comments:
Post a Comment