Ham everywhere, even in Bob's dreams, when he dreamt of a epileptic pig that he was trying to save

Ham everywhere, even in Bob's dreams, when he dreamt of a epileptic pig that he was trying to save
A shop window in Madrid

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thursday, June 18

Another great night's sleep.

Woke up a bit late, but we made up for it doing some great shopping (shoes--oh no) and lunch at a place called Mike Serio's Deli for a delicious muffaleta. How did we choose that place? There was a sign outside that said they beat Bobby Flay (in Bobby Flay's Throwdown) and made a better muffaleta. My oh my, I can certainly see how. We split one between us and couldn't even finish 1/2 each.

Then we went on the Swamp Tour. It was wonderful. We saw alligators and our captain fed them and gave us a lot of infomation about the canals we rode on the boat through. He was a riot, of course, a Cajun with a lisp, so understanding what he was saying was a bit difficult, but once we caught on---we laughed and ahhhhhhhed and ooooooohhhhhed our way through the bayou. He had props on board, as well, including a baby alligator that I held (see picture). It was worth the money ($29 each) and we were out for about an hour and a half. So glad we took that tour--fabulous, and Bob loved it too (LOL!)

More pictures (of Bob) coming soon.

Dinner was at the Palace--delicious (expensive too). I had a Planter's Punch (very good) and Bob had a (Salzerac)--very unusual drink (bourbon, bitters, and ?). He had a filet that melted in his mouth with mashed potatoes and I had a seafood au gratin (shrimp, crawfish, fish of the day). The creme brulee I had for dessert was the best I've ever had--creamy and Bob had bread pudding (this is not good--I'm getting Bob into the dessert habit--something new for him).

4 comments:

CJP said...

I've been following the weather in the part of the world you're visiting, and I'm sure that if God did not want us to be comfortable and sleep well, then he would not have invented air conditioning.

Are you going on a flood tour? I understand they're quite enlightening and actually serve to make people more compassionate, even if the fathers of the Crescent City saw fit to put a settlement in the dumbest place possible (below sea level and near the ocean). Also the McIlhenny plantation (maybe in the wrong direction from where you're heading) is a fun trip. They're the Tabasco Sauce people, and their property is run as a pay-to-visit nature preserve. More nutria than you can count.

Marla said...

Those alligators look fierce. Be careful where you walk! Since I can't be there, please go on a historic homes tour for me. I would love to see the old plantation homes just outside New Orleans. There are many historic homes in the city, too, so take pics for me!! Have a great time!

We're installing tile backsplash today. One inch tiles of onyx. Woo hoo!

Casey and Bob said...

Mookie, we considered the Tabasco tour, but couldn't fit everything in we wanted to do (and still shop and eat)--we stayed an extra day and there was still so much more to see, buy, and eat! We did not want to see the Katrina destruction, although we did consider driving through those areas.

Casey and Bob said...

Marla, we did go through one of the oldest and longest lived-in plantations in the US (pictures later). We did not have time to go through the Garden District (though I took a tour the last time I was here and nothing has changed).
I did the entire tub surround tiling at Sean's house--what an experience! If I could decide what I wanted in my kitchen, the counter backsplash would be a cinch compared to that tub work! Happy tiling! OOOOH--onyx--cool.