Ham everywhere, even in Bob's dreams, when he dreamt of a epileptic pig that he was trying to save

Ham everywhere, even in Bob's dreams, when he dreamt of a epileptic pig that he was trying to save
A shop window in Madrid

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday, June 24th

Today we arose at 7:00 AM and got to the free hotel breakfast in time to eat some cereal,stale croissants, and bad coffee.

We were on the road and left South Carolina headed for North Carolina. Since yesterday was only a 9o-mile day, we needed to make up for lost time. On the way, at 10:00 AM exactly, we came across another CATO--this time, I could find an XL for everything I liked--5 tops, two pairs of earrings, PJs, and a pair of jeans.

When we crossed the NC line, we decided to try NC barbecue somewhere. Luckily, Gertie (our GPS voice) brought up a list of BBQ joints on our route. We stopped at the first one--Betty's Smokehouse. The parking lot was pretty full (1PM) so we ventured in. Our waitress, Ruth, recommended the BBQ which puzzled me, so I said, "What is BBQ?--ribs? pulled pork?" and she answered so sweetly, "Sugar, it's our own chopped pork--we serve it dry but it's been marinated and BBQ'd with our own rub." So, I ordered BBQ and Ribs--Bob ordered BBQ and Chicken. Each came with a drink *unsweetened tea for us, thank you very much, m'aam, and two sides each. I had fried okra and pickled beets and Bob had corn nuggets (corn and corn pudding deep fried) and yam sticks (yam sticks deepfried). The sauces left on the table was a NC vinegar BBQ sauce (for the BBQ--chopped pork) and a hot, spicy sauce. Well, it was enough food so I was not hungry for their dessert special (Peach cobbler w/homemade ice cream). We paid the bill ($26) and left full enough that we didn't eat dinner.

Although the towns we were passing through were very interesting in SC--they weren't in NC, so we decided to take another route and visit the Outer Banks (Cape Hatteras and Kitty Hawk--and many more little towns on the way). We fell in love with the beaches on the Outer Bank and waded in our beloved Atlantic Ocean, but we were disappointed in how commercial everything was. I visited some of the unique stores, but so much of it was "junque!"

We took the bridge, tunnel, bridge, tunnel across the magnificent Chesapeake Bay (I had to stop for a crabcake sandwich at the restaurant on the way) but we watched the sun set (and took some pics) over the Bay. It was still light, and we passed more antique stores (all closed, of course, because though not dark, it was late) than we'd seen on the entire trip. Oh well! It is duly noted and we will be sure to pass this way again.

Bob saw a pilated woodpecker, a new one for his species list--so he was very happy. We had decided to make this a DRIVING day, so he was reluctant to stop at any of the refuges and the ones that looked most interesting were closed by the time we passed by.

I've been working on an afghan (crocheting) on the trip and it seems to be taking forever. Right now, although I've been at it for 6 days (not every hour of the trip for those six days) it's not even wide enough for a LONG scarf. I'll keep plugging away at it and maybe finish it in Maine and send it to her before we head home.

We drove over 400 miles today. We have parked it in Virginia (Onley), plan to wake early tomorrow morning, and begin again so that we should arrive at Bryn's in Long Island tomorrow night and still have time for a stop here and there or a unique and delicious meal there and here.

Today is day 12 of the trip and I don't want it to end, though I'm excited to see family.

3 comments:

CJP said...

You seem to be chasing the hot weather ahead of you. It was a pretty cool spring until you got close; now the forecast is for hot and humid days. If Bob didn't get his Yellow-crowned Night Heron, one has shown up for the second year in a row near the PA-DE border, not too much of a drive off I95 at US 202.

Directions: From the intersection of Routes 1 and 202, follow Route 1 south and you will see Hank's Restaurant on the right. Pull into the parking area behind the restaurant. Stand near the brown wooden dumpster and look across the marsh.

Iskandar Figueroa said...

I guess I'm still new to blogspot.

I assume you made it to LI by now, yes?

I definitely would love to take your route, but I wonder about the food in Mississippi, Alabama, and Rehoboth Beach, DE.

We miss you guys and look forward to seeing you in D. F.

Love,
Mateo, Veronica y Anita

Casey and Bob said...

Mookie--hope your recuperation is quick and easy. Bob has seen a Yellow-crowned Night Heron before. Sorry we missed you, maybe if we come this way again at the end of our Maine stay, we'll see you.

Iskander Figueroa--yes, we're here and we could've spent a week in every city and little town we passed through--although the emphasis was on the journey not the destination BUT we wanted to be in LI when Bryn had the most time off and be able to spend time in Albany as well. July 4 was when we start our Maine time (we'll take two days to drive up the coast so we can stop along the way).
Counting the months until we see you again!