We woke up fairly early this morning. I have a cold and coughed most of last night. Bob made blueberry buckwheat pancakes this morning, I took a cold shower (Bob had turned off the hot water last night and forgot to turn it on), and we were greeted by our beneficent cottage owners who had come to do something about the water situation. We ended up chatting a while out in the yard on the picnic table getting to know each other better. They are charming. Lorraine can tell a great story and told me a number of interesting and very funny anecdotes about Maine and its people. Both are very bright; in fact, we would be friends if we lived here--I'm sure of it. Tom knows a lot about the flora and fauna (as does Lorraine) and they are charming, helpful, caring people with very interesting lives.
Today was a beautiful day, so Bob worked on the boat for awhile. He became a bit impatient and as our launching depends so much on the tide being in (reread story about our last boat excursion--think MUD) that he didn't quite finish getting the boat ship shape when he yelled up for me to come down. As he was helping me into the boat, I asked, "Do I have to get wet?" and before he could even answer, I fell into the water bottom first. Since I wasn't hurt, we could laugh. He followed and we were on our way sailing (putt-putting) to distant shores (nearby peninsulas and islands). It was relaxing, beautiful yet surreal, and wonderful. Folks from their beautiful shore homes yelled HI to us and waved. One boater stopped his cabin cruiser engine so as not to make wake for our little rubber raft and yelled across the water, "Are you thinking of doing some water skiing?" Haha--if you saw our little boat you'd understand just how preposterous and comical his question was. Bob got a good idea for how to improve the boat for our next trip and before you knew it we were back onshore without the drama and mud of our first trip. He followed and we were on our way sailing (putt-putting) to distant shores (nearby peninsulas and islands). Bob got a good idea for how to improve the boat for our next trip and before you knew it we were back onshore without the drama and mud of our first trip.
It was quite lovely.
Then we set about doing all of the things we should’ve done before we left but we were so enchanted with our host and hostess and well, the tide was coming in--so we didnt. I washed the breakfast dishes and Bob got the boat ready for our next voyage. Then he decided to take a ride into town while I stayed in the cottage finishing book number 7 since we started the trip. I got some texts from my cousin Antoinette telling me my mother was quite upset and hungry and tired of being in the hospital. It’s been a month (or will be on Tuesday) since she has been admitted so I don’t blame her at all. Bob picked up dinner at Joshys (lobster roll for me and a hamburger and fried bologna sandwich for him but I ate some of the sandwich).
Now we’re both getting ready for our trip tomorrow. We are taking a puffin tour to Seal Island. One and one half hours to the island on a boat, time on the island behind a blind watching the puffins, and one and one half hours back to the harbor. The boat leaves from Jonesport about an hour from here at 6:30 AM (so at least there won’t be any traffic, LOL!). We’re very excited—it’s a bit expensive at a hundred bucks a head but it’s going to be oh so very worthwhile when I see Bob’s childlike exuberance when he gets to see a puffin. We have to bring our own lunch and you know us, that means gourmet Italian subs (mortadella, provolone, salami on sweet pepper foccacia rolls with a pepper salad spread and Italian dressing----some fresh fruit along with raspberry iced tea and some gorp made from nuts, oats, cranberries, raisins). I’m just as excited about eating lunch as I am about seeing puffins—nah, only kidding, maybe.
So, it’s early to bed for us which means we won’t be able to sleep. Hope we don’t get seasick but if we do, we have Dramamine with us for the trip!
1 comment:
It sounds like your day was a blast. I'm glad that you had a good time with the owners of the cabin.
Have fun tomorrow!
Love,
Matt, Veronica, and Ana
Post a Comment