Today, though we were up kind of late, Matt had taken a walk to buy us tamales for breakfast and they were quite good. Then, we took a long walk exploring Coyoacan.
First we went to the mercado. It was quite lovely--then we went through to buy some fruit. The fruit vendor that Matt and Veronica usually buy from was so friendly and kept giving us samples of fruit (only those with peels, thank you). Of course, later, I tried some cheese and Bob is now sure I will come down with Montezuma's revenge. However, as I reminded him, we had eaten cheese in the salad Veronica made the previous evening. I bought a beautiful embroidered dress made by an Indian from Chiappas. It was $20, turquoise in color and beautifully embroidered.
We saw Frida Kahlo's house. I have never been that impressed with her art, but I love the art of Diego Rivera. The house was small, but very open. The gardens, however, were very lovely--not just the horticulture, but the beautiful colored walls--in blues, yellows, purples.
We had coffee at El Jarocho. And Veronica ran around the corner for the ubiquitous churros for us. Two breakfasts! That's okay with me especially since we'd be doing a lot of walking later.
We went to a late lunch (after a long walk from Frida Kahlo's) at O Mayoto. We had pulque (a very old, historical alcoholic drink) and mescal (delicious). Then we had lunch--Bob had a sirloin steak with fried potatoes and onions, and guess what else? cheese squares in oil. I had enmoladas--three corn tortilla with cheese in mole sauce. Matt had some kind of folded over taco with chorizo. Delicious!
AT home, Veronica was sick with a fever of 100 and so she left us after the coffee, with Ana, who also hadn't slept that well the night before. When we got back home, they were both asleep, so Bob and I took a nap while Matt researched restaurants.
Tomorrow, San Angel.
2 comments:
Sounds wonderful, although I'm sorry to hear your DIL's under the weather. My kids will be sooo jealous to hear you had churros.
They were delicious as is most of the food (including dulces) here! YUMMY
Post a Comment