Ham everywhere, even in Bob's dreams, when he dreamt of a epileptic pig that he was trying to save

Ham everywhere, even in Bob's dreams, when he dreamt of a epileptic pig that he was trying to save
A shop window in Madrid

Friday, September 4, 2009

Thursday, Sept. 3

Got up pretty early and had cereal for breakfast (from the camp box of food) and bananas. Bob made coffee (that plastic French press was the best investment for this trip). We drove into Indiana, Missouri, and Kansas today.

There was a big billboard for Apple Annies Antiques and Home Decor. We got off (in Missouri) and at first, I didn't want to go in because it looked so small. Bob insisted. Glad he did as there were rooms and rooms and rooms of both antiques and home decor (which I could've bought out had we had some room left in the van). Bob bought more wood for carving, depression glass (butter box and refrigerator box). I bought a rocking horse lamp for Ana's bedroom, an old quilt for Ana's bedroom, three wreaths (twig, moss, seashell), a basket, an insulator, etc. Great prices, but not enough room for everything we could've bought. Very exciting.

Then we got off again to find a Cato but we couldn't find it and Bob was frustrated so we got back on the road.

Finally, we were ready to stop at Salina, Kansas. As we pulled up to the campground, it started raining, thundering, lightning and I said, "No camping tonight." We found a Day's Inn, not too expensive, and were there by 7:30 PM. Then we went to dinner in a Family Restaurant. I have found that most Family Restaurants do not have good food (especially those that advertise "home cooking"). Bob's chicken-fried steak, with gravy, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, side salad was pretty good (he said). I ordered Pot Roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, side salad and green beans. It had stuffing with it. I left food on the plate because the pot roast was very dry, like shoe leather--probably made on Monday and then microwaved each day the rest of the week. I didn't like the gravy either. Although I wanted to try the banana cream pie, I just couldn't take another disappointment (see yesterday's blog), so we left (10% off our bill because we were seniors--18 bucks for dinner, not too bad).

I didn't sleep well because I had had coffee too late and couldn't get to sleep, kept waking up. We had a continental breakfast at the hotel and were on our way by 9:00 AM.

Because we want to spend time with Sean, we will not do much stopping for "things" tomorrow. It's just as well as I'd rather spend the money in Mexico City next week. I called Sean and told him we would be there Friday evening and leave Sunday morning for Phoenix. I called Kim and told her we would be in Phoenix late Sunday night. That will give us three days before we have to leave for Mexico City--it'll be good to be home for a few days.

No comments: